Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Goodbye, Hoff-O-Ween or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Hate 3D

This is always the most sad time of year for me.  It's the time when I have to wait the longest for the next Hoff-O-Ween.  It doesn't help that I fucking hate Christmas and everything involving the Christmas season with an unbridled fiery passion.  So from now until the new year, I'm generally a crotchety old fuck.

Hoff-O-Ween, for the uninformed, is what happens when a self-absorbed Halloween fanatic with the last name "Hoffman" wants to throw an annual party.  This is a good segue to digress into my frustration with being the lowest-of-low "celebrities" and having the name that I do...

...I spent most of my life after age 18 or so having people (usually service reps on the phone or store clerks who take my credit card) say, "really? - no way!" when I tell them my name.  That's in reference to the famous BMX legend Mat Hoffman.  He's got a series of video games and is talented.  I won $1.00 on television over the summer.  The especially idiotic strangers that I encounter will even give me a "so, do you know the Mat Hoffman?".  Yes - everyone who shares the same name always knows one another (let's forget the fact that our names are spelled differently)...

...Maybe being on a 3-night-a-week national primetime television show would help me to stand on my own.  Maybe this was my chance to make my "Matt Hoffman" a household name!  A friend told me recently that I made the "notable people" in my hometown Elgin, IL's Wikipedia entry.  If that's not hitting the big time, I don't know what is.  But it didn't take long to strike yet another in the longstanding series of crushing blows to my fragile ego when I clicked the link and found that it took me to [wait for it...you guessed it] the BMX Mat Hoffman's Wikipedia page.

Godammit.

Back to the original point that I sort of started making, I have been hosting Hoff-O-Ween for six years now.  That's about 4-5 years before David Hasslehoff was even relevant enough for us to care about him drunkenly writhing around on his floor shoveling Jr. Bacon Deluxe burgers from Wendy's down his throat.  Yet this year "The Hoff" (hmmm...where have I been hearing that since I was eight years old?) decided to get all "creative" and promote Hoff-O-Ween as his own!...

...Seriously, Hasslehoff - fuck you.  If it weren't for that picture of you and Gary Coleman in front of the Knight Rider car, you would never have even made an ironic comeback into pop culture.  I don't ask for much in this life, but please just give me Hoff-O-Ween.  You and I both know that it's mine.

Again I seem to be going off on a tangent from what was my original intention upon starting this blog...to wax nostalgic about Hoff-O-Ween (I know it was only like two days ago, but I still say that qualifies as "nostalgia").  In order to celebrate, I drank some pumpkin schnapps (yes - they really make it), ate some pizza and taco dip, and watched The Human Centipede.  The next night, I went to see Saw 3D.  Seven paragraphs into this post, I am finally starting to get to the point (do you see why I don't blog now?).  Without further adieu, here's my recap on the final Saw movie...I'll try to make this quick, but that's unlikely.


WARNING: THERE ARE SPOILERS THROUGHOUT THE REST OF THIS POST 

I have been a HUGE fan of the Saw franchise since its inception.  I feel it's probably the only great (or even decent) horror franchise to come out since the 80's.  While the films are heavily criticized for "senseless gore" (and while that may be true), the gore isn't the focus to the true fans.  I believe the writing in these films is brilliant in how everything intertwines throughout all the movies.  We're now seven movies deep, and still referencing back to the first in the series.  I remember when Pulp Fiction first came out, and everyone thought Tarantino was a genius for his use of time-manipulation and playing with sequence.  Well what Tarantino did for only 2-hours in his movie, Saw has spanned over an entire catalog of films...and therein lies its awesomeness.

This is the first Saw film that I haven't seen on opening night.  I should also say that I fucking hate 3D.  It's an annoying technology that decreases image quality and drains consumers' wallets just for the sake of a gimmick.  I paid $28 for two movie tickets.  Seriously?  Preposterous.  In three months I'll be able to own the movie for half of that cost.  For $28 I should have gotten a happy-ending massage while I relaxed and watched the show.  Going the 2D route and saving me some money would've been the smart move, but I'm a sucker for advertising so I got pulled into the hype.

Either way,  this one ranked in the middle for me.  I liked it because it didn't have the confusion of Saw VI, but it still had enough references to past Saw's to make it creative and give you those "ah-ha!" moments that make the franchise great.  They brought back a key character from the original Saw, but they did a terrible job (well, no job) of explaining the character's motivation for his involvement in the series.  It was like having a twist ending just for the sake of having a twist ending.

My only other criticism (aside from the painfully bad acting of the main cop character - Gibson, played by Chad Donella) is the reasons behind the traps.  Every other Saw edition had a firm grasp on making sure that whatever the protagonist was going through ended up relating to the series as a whole.  This one totally strayed from that, and the main victim really didn't have much to do with the overall chain of events spanning the movies.  That probably is related in major part to the fact that Jigsaw (Tobin Bell) is dead and no longer involved.  But, again, it just seemed like a wasted opportunity for some decent writing and twists.

Overall this ranks in the middle of the "Saw badass-ness" spectrum.  I hope they really do end this like they are supposed to.  One more edition (produced out of greed) could kill the best horror franchise in decades.  Go out with a bang, Saw.

And once again - fuck you, Hasslehoff.

9 comments:

  1. I hate, hate, hate, HATE Thanksgiving and Christmas too...I turn into a big Scroogette after Halloween.

    The holiday's and Hasslehoff can SUCK IT!

    Dee
    http://4theloveofrandom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair enough, Matt. I had honestly thought "Saw 3D" was flawless (maybe because I was blinded by my Saw fan boy instincts) but after reading this blog post, there definitely were some blatantly obvious flaws which I didn't catch on to. Like the whole "Bobby Deagan" character having nothing to do with the series itself, although I think his whole purpose was to be just a decoy so detective Hoffman (Hey I just realized he has the same name as you!) could get to Jill Tuck. And also after thinking about it, I can't remember his name off the top of my head, but "Gibson" wasn't portrayed very well either, in terms of acting but the whole badass portrayal of Detective Hoffman by Costas Mandylor was epic enough for me. And also, I agree with you completely when you said that the real Saw fans don't watch it for the "blood" and "gore" but I thought the death traps were actually pretty clever in this one. I'm from Toronto btw so I got a glimpse of them building the set of that outdoor trap and a bit of filming when I was going to my university. Only problem I had was that they didn't explain how the outdoor trap was built and executed in the movie. It was in a pretty crowded area so it's not like Hoffman could have just walked in, brought everything he needed and got to work. In terms of the ending, I had seen a video on YouTube about roughly when saw 5 came out and it was clues and reasons to believe  Dr. Gordon is alive and an accomplice to jigsaw. The idea of him being alive seemed preposterous as the time but as he dwelled into his research and posted more videos, it made more and more sense. Nearly every single one of his theories were proven correct as they showed (as brief as it may have been) Gordon's involvement as an accomplice. And just to end it off... Who the fucking hell were the other two  people with the pig mask on?! 

    Ps. Yeah the 3D was annoying and unnecessary, but the sacrifices us Saw fans will make.... *sigh*

    - Jananthan S. (@JDreamM23)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that was another thing! - how did he set up that opening trap?! Every other trap in the series we (over time) had a very detailed insight as to how it was set up and executed.

    I loved that Dr. Gordon was brought back as an accomplice (made perfect sense since Jigsaw was always touted as an "engineer" and never a "doctor", yet so many traps involved medical precision). What I DIDN'T love is that it never explained WHY!?! Okay, a guy makes you saw your own leg off, and then when he revives you and asks you to help him kill people, you just say "yes"? You don't say "ummmm - FUCK YOU!" and go to the cops?! I just don't understand Dr. Gordon's motivation and what he had to gain by helping?

    And yeah - two other random pig people that went unexplained. My guess is one of them was the black chick (who won that VH1 show to be in the movie - she cut off her own arm) and then one of the other "survivors", maybe? Who knows - that's what I didn't like...nothing explained. And the best part about the Saw movies is that they ALWAYS explained EVERYTHING down to the tiniest detail...

    ...Which also makes me think that's why this won't be the last film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Halloween too! Made My costume,usually start around the DEAD of winter, The Party & went over My friends & helped pass out candy,so I can see the kids,look at all the pumpkin lite...Long after the last kid came & went,I sat there,still staring at the pumpkins & felt the sadness come on...Oh well,there's Halloween 2011!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As far as The REAL MATT HOFFMAN, there's only one to Me-it's You!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be boiled in pudding, buried with a stake of holly through my heart. You're off my Christmas cards list!! I can't believe that it's this time of year again already.

    It's crazy how 3D is coming full circle using the same ole same ole gimmick from fifty or sixty years ago.I plan on waiting until the new Saw is On Demand to see it.

    Even though I didn't see the live feed of your original Hoff-o-ween party, it has to beat Hasselhoff's I'm sure.Nothing against the dude, but I can imagine his having lots of serious karaoke.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Matt! Thanks for the blog . . . and yes, someone else has 'your' name, not you have his . . . I so loved the live feed at Hoff-o-Ween (and yes, that is yours, too)! Ragan was so funny and you make a gorgeous Spooky Britney . . . Stac was a fantastic zombie . . . Wished I could have watched more but I had my granddaughter, so I missed the first half . . . then had to go to bed early because I knew she would wake me up early . . . so can't do the scary movies . . . so I had to skip that part of your blog . . . keep it real!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Right, I hear ya, some of the traps that involved medical practice was a bit questionable as to how Jigsaw could have pulled it off but bringing Dr. Gordon into the story made perfect sense. AND SERIOUSLY, I mean it is unclear as to why Dr. Gordon decided to help Jigsaw and maybe the reason it was left unmentioned was so it could be "up to the viewers imagination" AKA "the cheap way out". But as much as I would LOVE for another Saw movie, I doubt Lions Gate will fund for another one considering the grossing has dropped dramatically. I guess (other than the fans obviously) people are getting sick of it. It's too bad really, Saw I think, is definitely one of, if not THE, best horror series of all time. I know it probably isn't but I think it is because they just cant make horror movies like this anymore. Anything else is just a typical slasher film which personally I don't find quite entertaining at all.

    And regarding the other two in the pig mask, the black chick makes TOTAL sense because she was completely against the whole idea of being "reborn" when surviving a jigsaw trap and didn't feel like she was given a second chance, she just felt like "what the fuck? I lost my arm for no reason." So Gordon could have approached her and told her who put her through the trap and could have easily convinced her to help him. And for the other person, it would make sense to be another one of the survivors, simply because of the opportunity at getting back at whoever put them through what they had to go through.

    And btw, I don't know about you but people who aren't fans of the franchise are really close-minded, pessimistic dicks. I went to see it with a couple friends (big mistake, never watch a Saw movie with someone who is not a fan of the franchise) and they didn't like it at all, maybe because they didn't see any of the other movies or saw like Saw 3 or like Saw 5 and skipped the rest, but they talked a lot of shit about it saying it's pointless and the movie was confusing and just being plain obnoxious. It's annoying really, and I genuinely feel sorry for them and those who can't appreciate good flicks, especially those in the horror genre. Sorry for kinda unloading this on you, haha :P .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Thanksgiving and Christmas. eh, I usually like all of the holidays EXCEPT., valentines day. I can never find that certain special somebody that I can truthlly be honest and confident with. :( But, yea, I do like christmas because I always luv giving out gifts and such. this year, I am going to bake my special rum bundt cake. :) Yumm!

    ReplyDelete